Tuesday, November 5, 2013

4 Reasons Why Tony Graff Loves Participating in NaNoWriMo



4 Reasons why I love everyone participating in NaNoWriMo
(A guest post by author, Tony Graff)

            It's that time of year again, and once again my wife has kissed me on the top of my head and told me she'd see me in a month. That's right, it November, which means it's National Novel Writer's Month. Where the literary have a planned burst of insanity and creation (I've already gotten more than my daily goal completed) in the thrill run to write 50,000 words in one month. I tip my hat to each of you, and here are six reasons why:

  1. You've mastered a great fear. I have a friend who has told me a brilliant story idea about a SWAT officer who takes over for Thanatos, the Greek god of Death (Hades is the god of the Underworld, not death. He had to point that out to me). It was an absolutely fantastic idea. He had stuff written down and illustrations and research, yet he never made it to the word processor. That still bugs me do this day. How many other stories are remaining untold because of this fear? NaNoWriMo participants have to bite the bullet and write, no matter how it turns out. And that's a leap of faith. I know it was for me, and I didn't even have the help and support of fellow writers to get me on the right track.
  2. You're making a great sacrifice. How many of you are sacrificing your favorite TV show? How about video game? How many already know how many hours of sleep they're going to be losing to get this novel written? I'm waking up at 5:30 every morning just to make sure I have enough time to get my word goal and not sacrifice my grades in college for it. Everyone's looking at you crazy, but you know the sheer joy of getting that idea out there and creating that story. Will it become a NYT bestseller? Does it even matter? You did what you love, and I'll gladly raise a glass to you for that.
  3. You embrace the insanity. So you're plugging along, making headway and maybe even getting ahead. Then, out of the blue comes a thought that becomes dialogue that turns into a completely unplanned seen that is pure brilliance on paper and the moment is nigh unto sacred and only a few get to know about and only you know how enlightening that feels.
  4. You read a lot. Now, I'm just guessing on this one, but I've always heard that great writers are great readers. The two are symbiotic. You've got a long list on Goodreads of stuff you've read and the list of stuff to read is perpetually growing. Every book you've read added a few grains of thought to this moment where it all flies onto paper.
           
            To everyone participating this year, I salute you, and I'll see you at the other end.

Tony Graff is the author of the recently released Hallow Terrace.



My name is Kora Allred and I am an Isis. I underwent an operation that swapped fragments of my genetic code with genes from a lion. I even have the tail to prove it.

The operation is still a new technology that garners a lot of gossip and glares. There's even an organized group of Anti-Isis who are actively picketing and rallying to make the operation I had illegal. My fiancée, Garret, was never really impressed that I got the operation, or that I display it like a badge of honor.

But, here's the thing: I'm pregnant. Garret's the father. And scientists can't even tell me how my operation is going to affect my child.

Get your copy on Amazon today!

For more information on Tony Graff, check out his website.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment