Saturday, April 16, 2011

It's Officiallly Official

Marketing. Not my forte.

I knew this going into the do-it-yourself world of publishing, but thought that maybe this time the sky would open up and beam down a magnificent light upon my epic-like novel, Dream Smashers. Maybe it will. Someday.

Zero sales in four days equals frowny face on Angela's head. Is that normal? What should I do? I can't keep saying, "Hey, lookie here. A rad novel for only $2.99." People get tired of hearing it.

I've had a few reviewers review it and it garnered some lovely reviews of four and five stars. (I just said review three times in the same sentence) Well, mostly four stars, but I'm taking into consideration that I didn't know a single one of those reviewers. Not one. I simply asked them to review it. I didn't smoosh them and say super-nice things about them. I didn't rub their shoulders or become BFF's with them, so I think the four star reviews shine brighter for me. I'm very thankful for them.

I need to write. So that's what I'm going to be concentrating on from now on. The marketing thing, or whatever people call it, will happen, too. I'm just not going to spend every minute of the day trying to do it. With time, word will get around that Angela is legit down to her spit and won't fluff your feathers for a sale. She's already worked her booty off creating a novel to entertain you. So buy it and enjoy it and give it an honest review. She'll be thankful and that's it. Maybe someday she can hire someone to do all the bullshitting for her. That would be rad!

Peace out for now.

PS -- Land of Corn Chips, a middle grade novel, will be out on June 6th. The cover art is done and it is SUPER AWESOME. I can't wait to share it with the world on April 29th. Don't ask me why you have to wait until April 29th. It's just a day that I threw out. Which is weird because I'm usually an impulsive person who plans absolutely nothing. But this, this is planned and it shall remain that way. I think. Oh, did I mention how AMAZING the cover is for Land of Corn Chips? Am I a walking contradiction or what? Okay, back to the writing.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha Angela! Being legit to your spit cracked me up! And I'm surprised you say that you're not a planner. Your release taught us indies a thing or 2 about releases girl!

    Oh, and I think you should just give us the cover ;)But you already know this since I asked you already and will probably continue to do so until I see the darn thing. I wish I was way close with Robin so I could just smooze it out of her. lol

    I think you have to do what you can do for your book and then let the readers do their part. It will come grasshopper ;)

    Angeline Kace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the release. hahaha Well, it didn't go as planned at all because I tried to plan and then the plan changed every twenty-three seconds. It was going to be bigger and cooler, like a spectacular show, and peeps were going to applaud and say things like, "Bravo!" and whatnot, but again, the whole planning thing...

    You know if you bug me enough I may have to let you in on the most awesome cover in the universe. Only because I aim to please and wouldn't want to let you down, my #TTFL seester. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ang, I am sooo glad you were honest about all this because yeah, um, the big marketing secret is: there is no secret. so yeah, when I go a day or two without sales I'm like wha???? what can i do? and then i begin to drive myself crazy a little bit, or alot. So I know what you mean, and yeah, we just need to write and focus on that. It's what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read your novel, and it doesn't even sound like my genre, but the first thing I'm thinking is Amanda Hocking didn't make her millions at $2.99 a shot. The sad truth is that there are tons of "indie" novels of varying quality going for 99 cents a unit. Almost all the indie mega-sellers are going for that price. Sure it will tear your heart out to sell a book you sweated on maybe for years for under a buck, but if you want more sales and smiley faces, that may be what you gotta do.

    ReplyDelete